Eat Healthy When Away From Home
Whether you're away from home running errands, on the job, or on vacation, you CAN eat healthy. Follow these tips to eat healthy when you're away from home:
- Take food with you when you can! Bringing along your own lunches and snacks is the cheapest and healthiest way to eat when you're away from home.
- Pack ready-to-eat fruits and veggies - like cherry tomatoes, grapes, bananas, apples, and celery sticks.
- Bring along single-serving canned fruit with pop-tops. No can opener needed!
- Make individual baggies of dried fruit and whole grain cereal.
- Make healthy fast food and take out choices.
- Look for sandwich or sub shops and choose whole grain breads, veggies, lean meats and low fat toppings and spreads - like mustard or salsa.
- Skip the fries and have a healthy side like fruit, salad or yogurt.
- Drink water, low fat milk, or juice instead of sugary soda.
- Check out the kids' menu. Portion sizes are most likely more than enough for an adult.
Try these JSY recipes for a healthy and tasty on-the-go breakfast or snack:
- Blueberry Bread
- Breakfast Granola
- Cranberry and Sweet Potato Bread
- Carrot Cookie
- Date Bars
- Oatmeal Prune Bars
- Pineapple Muffins
- Pumpkin Bread