5 Low Cost Ways to Eat Fruits and Veggies Every Day
Think fruits and veggies are too expensive? Think again. Buy fruits and veggies and invest in your health. Follow the tips below for low cost ways of eating 5 cups of fruits and veggies every day.
- Be thrifty and buy plain, store-brand cold cereal or oatmeal. Jazz it up by adding your own fresh or dried fruit. When you make your own, you can make it extra fruity!
- Why buy tiny containers of over-priced yogurts full of strange artificial flavors? Buy a large container of plain yogurt and add whatever fruit YOU like - fresh, frozen, canned or dried fruits all taste great!
- Looking for a crunchy snack or lunchtime side dish? Don't waste your money on empty calorie chips. Try cut up celery, carrots, or bell peppers - add a low-fat dressing for more zip.
- Instead of pricy meats, add beans or lentils to your family's favorite casseroles, pasta dishes, soups, and salads.
- You don't have to buy a fancy pie for dessert. Bake apples or pears with some cinnamon for a healthy and comforting end to a meal.
Need a healthy on-the-go breakfast or snack?
Try this fruit-packed recipe:
Fruity Banana SmoothieIngredients:
- 1 banana, peeled
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- 2 cups sliced peaches
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder (optional)
- Mix all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Refrigerate leftovers.