No-Cook, Healthy Meals
Looking for ways to beat the heat and get out of the kitchen fast? No-cook meal ideas are handy when you’re in a rush or it’s too hot to cook. Consider canned beans as a starting point for your meal. They’re ready to use once drained and rinsed, and they’re loaded with protein and fiber to fill you up. Here are some more hints to keep you cool while you’re “cooking.”
- Make a “salad” with canned beans as the main ingredient. Some great combos - chickpeas and tomatoes, canned beets and white beans, or black beans and corn.
- Top your leafy greens with lots of crunchy veggies and rinsed canned beans – like chickpeas, great northern or kidney beans. Throw in canned tuna or leftover chicken or beef.
- Wraps or hearty sandwiches stuffed with veggies make a quick go-to meal. Start with a whole grain tortilla, wrap or sliced bread. Spread on some hummus or canned refried beans. Then add the veggies you love - like cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, onions or peppers.
- Use leftover pasta or rice, and make a cold salad loaded with beans and other veggies. Add cheese, tuna, or leftover cold chicken for an added treat.
These JSY recipes make great no-cook meals either by themselves or when paired with whole grain bread:
- Black Bean Wraps (use leftover brown rice)
- Succotash Salad (pair with whole grain bread)
- Greens and Grapes (pair with whole grain bread)
- Three Bean Salad (pair with whole grain bread)
- Taco Salad
- Bean & Tuna Salad (pair with whole grain bread or toss with leftover pasta)
- Broccoli Raisin Pasta Salad (use leftover pasta)