Look What Food Stamps (SNAP) Can Buy!
Did you know that the name of the Food Stamp Program has changed? It is now called the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). SNAP benefits range from $16 a month and up. Of course, SNAP benefits may be used to buy many different foods. But why not buy delicious fruits and vegetables and get the most "bang for your buck"?
- $16 may buy over 50 servings of fruits and vegetables!!! Here's a healthy variety of options that can be purchased: bag of potatoes, bag of lentils and kidney beans, canned tomatoes, frozen broccoli, frozen spinach, frozen corn, canned sweet potatoes, fresh carrots, raisins and grape juice! Just think of how many ways you can use these great tasting foods!
- Use your SNAP benefits to buy seeds or plants and grow your own vegetables and fruits! Children love to take care of a plant, and they are more likely to try new foods when they help grow them. Cherry tomatoes, anyone?
- Use your SNAP benefits to buy frozen, canned, or dried fruits and vegetables and 100% juice. They are all good for you!
- Over 130 NYS Farmer's Markets take SNAP cards. To find a Farmers' Market near you that takes SNAP go to www.snaptomarket.com.
- You pay extra for the convenience of "already-prepared" foods. Get the most from your SNAP benefits by buying a head of lettuce instead of a bag of lettuce, or fresh, whole carrots instead of baby cut carrots!
So, what are you waiting for? SNAP to it!